In many Latin American cultures, a girl’s 15th birthday marks her transition from childhood to young adulthood. To celebrate this pivotal rite of passage, it’s common for families to host a quinceañera—also known as a quince—which typically involves a religious ceremony in which the girl reaffirms her commitment to the church, followed by a festive party attended by several friends and family members.
Given the cultural and religious significance of a quince, these celebrations are often approached with a similar degree of reverence as a wedding—and they can be nearly as expensive as well. On average, quince parties cost anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000, but can run upwards of $50,000 depending on factors such as the number of guests and the location. If you will be planning a quince in the future, having an idea of the various costs involved can help you start formulating a budget. As a leading venue for quince parties in the Phoenix area, Garden Tuscana has compiled the following guide to provide insight into how much it costs to plan a quinceañera.
The most expensive parts of a quinceañera
As you start planning your quince party, you can expect to spend 10 percent or more of your budget on each of the following items:
- Food and beverage service is typically the most expensive item on your quinceañera checklist, accounting for approximately one-third of your overall budget.
- The venue fee may account for around 10 percent of your budget. Be sure to ask the venue coordinator about what’s included, such as décor, parking, and tables and chairs. At Garden Tuscana, we will coordinate every aspect of your quinceañera, including décor and design, and will work with you to determine an arrangement that suits your budget.
- Whether you choose to hire a live band, a DJ, or another form of entertainment, expect to spend at least 10 percent of your budget on this aspect of the quinceañera.
- Photographer and videographer. Capturing this milestone event is crucial, so many families hire a professional photographer and/or videographer. While this is a great way to preserve memories that your daughter will cherish forever, it comes at a cost—approximately 10 percent of your total budget.
Expect to spend 5-10 percent of your budget on these items
Other important—and pricey—elements of a quinceañera celebration include the following, on which you might expect to spend between five and ten percent of your budget:
- Just as wedding dresses are particularly special for brides, the dress that a girl wears for her quinceañera is a key part of the celebration. Dresses often cost between $200 and $300, and you’ll also need to save room in your budget for alterations, shoes, jewelry, and accessories. However, to save money, consider renting a dress or buying one used.
- Flowers and decorations. To create a festive ambience, your quince party will need table centerpieces, floral arrangements, and other decorations.
These items may each represent five percent or less of your budget:
- The ceremony. Since most quinces include a religious ceremony, you may need to pay for a church fee and related items, such as a special Bible, rosary, and necklace or ring.
- In addition to invitations, you’ll probably want to budget for place cards, menus, and thank you cards.
- The cake for a quince party is typically separate from the catering budget, so plan to spend about two percent of your overall budget on this sweet centerpiece.
- Hair, makeup, and nails. To help your daughter truly feel like a princess, you may want to have her hair, makeup, and nails done professionally—which may cost 2-3 percent of your budget.
- Party favors. As an expression of gratitude for your guests, you may want to devote a small amount of your budget to gifts and party favors.
- Unexpected costs. As with any other event, there’s always the possibility that unexpected expenses will come up. Be sure to leave room in your budget for gratuities, taxes, and other costs.
Planning a quinceañera with Garden Tuscana
At Garden Tuscana, we recognize that a quinceañera is a pivotal event in the life of a young woman and her family. We are here to help bring your vision for this special day to life, and we will work with you to plan a celebration that suits your budget. Conveniently located in the heart of Mesa, we offer a lush outdoor garden venue, as well as a spacious ballroom that can host up to 500 guests. Our packages include seating, décor, and other key elements of any event, and our staff will handle many aspects of the setup and cleanup processes, allowing you to fully enjoy celebrating with your loved ones. Contact us today for more information!